Definitions of life
Example - Beech Tree MERRING
- Movement - Animals and single cell. (plants ??)
- Nutrition - (Including photosynthesis)
- Movement. Phototaxis? Seed?
- Excretion. (Photosynthesis - Oxygen) (Respiration -
CO2 and Water) (Nutrition - Nitrates, etc heartwood, leaf fall)
- Reproduction. Both sexes on each plant. both male and female
flowers. Seed - beech mast. low amounts of mast most years but occasional
- Respiration. Self-production of sugars. Sugar and oxygen - water
- Irritability. ?
- Nutrition - (photosynthesis) (intake of water and nutrients
through root system. symbiotic root fungi?)
- Growth. Annual (and annular?)
Capacities of living organisms (Mayr 1997, p.22)
- Growth and differentiation via a genetic program
- Response to stimuli from the environment
- Change in phenotype and genotype
Properties of "autonomous agents" (Kauffman 2000, p.8)
- Must be a self-reproducing molecular system
- Must be able to carry out one or more thermodynamic work cycles
Links at this site...
Links at other sites...
Last modified 9/5/01