Manx Shearwaters continued their rapid increase as a breeding species and topped the species totals for the first time. The 492
birds ringed included 335 chicks. Amoung the adults there were significant numbers of the birds that had first been caught in
previous years. Six had originally been ringed as chicks on Lundy, and these included one of just seven chicks ringed in 2005,
the first year of chick ringing, following rat eradication.
An interesting selection of recoveries and controls received during 2013 include [...] an 18-year-old Lesser Black-backed Gull found dead on Skokholm, where it had perhaps settled to breed.
Annual Report of the Lundy Field Society 2013 63
Links at this site
- Manx Shearwater (Puffinus puffinus) 492 (335 pulli) birds ringed in 2013
- Individual Manx Shearwaters on Lundy, 2,807 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Manx Shearwater EX74477 - ringed as an adult on Lundy, 7.6.13. Found dead (not fresh) on Bardsey Island, Gwynedd, 13.8.13. (85 days; 177 km; bearing 358°).
- European Storm Petrel (Hydrobates pelagicus) 1 bird ringed in 2013
- Individual Storm Petrels on Lundy 265 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) none ringed in 2013
- Individual Lesser Black-backed Gulls on Lundy 456 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Lesser Black-backed Gull GP95657. Ringed as a pullus on Lundy, 29.6.95. Found dead (not fresh) on Skokholm Island, Pembrokeshire, 23.9.13 (6,661 days; 74 km; 325°).
- Lesser Black-backed Gull colour-ring left leg, pale blue with white L; metal ring on right - ringed as a pullus on Lundy, 25-29.6.95. Seen at Mimizan, Landes, FRANCE, 5.11.13 (c6,706 days; 818 km; 161°).
- Ringing of Seabirds on Lundy
- Individual Seabirds on Lundy
Links to other sites