An interesting selection of recoveries and controls includes a Manx Shearwater which was ringed at the colony on Copeland, off Northern Ireland, in 2005 but has almost certainly settled as a Lundy breeder. Now that shearwaters are breeding successfully on Lundy, their numbers are building up so fast that some immigration must be involved; this individual, probably ringed when it was a young pre-breeder, gives the first hint of their origins.
While Lundy's Lesser Black-backed Gulls are regularly seen wintering in Portugal, the 15-year old Herring Gull found there is exceptional.
Annual Report of the Lundy Field Society 2010 60
Links at this site
- Manx Shearwater (Puffinus puffinus) 190 (169 pulli) birds ringed in 2010
- Individual Manx Shearwaters on Lundy, 2,807 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Manx Shearwater EL68296 Ringed as an adult on Copeland Island, County Down, Northern Ireland, 31.7.05. Controlled on Lundy, 29.8.10. (1855 days; 395 km; bearing 172°).
- Lesser Black-backed Gull (Larus fuscus) 27 (27 pulli) birds ringed in 2010
- Individual Lesser Black-backed Gulls on Lundy 456 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Lesser Black-backed Gull GP95655 (with colour-ring). Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 29.6.95. Seen (metal ring read) at Portimao, Algarve, Portugal (37° 08' N, 8° 32' W), on 11 and 13.1.10 (5310 days; 1588 km; 192°). A similar colour-ringed bird was also seen at Portimao on 1 and 2.1.10 but, with the metal ring number not known, it is possible it was a different individual, ringed on Lundy in the same summer.
- Lesser Black-backed Gull GP955xx (with colour-ring) Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 25-27.6.95. Seen (metal ring partially read) at Portimao, Algarve, Portugal (37° 08' N, 8° 32' W), on 14.10.10 (5312 days; 1588 km; 192°).
- Lesser Black-backed Gull Blue colour-ring L, left leg. Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 25-29.6.95. Seen at Portimao, Algarve, Portugal (37° 08' N, 8° 32' W), on 5 and 25.9.09 (4926 days; 1588 km; 192°).
- Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 19 (19 pulli) birds ringed in 2010
- Individual Herring Gulls on Lundy 2,949 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Herring Gull GP95527 Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 25.6.95. Found dead (road casualty) at Alcochete, Setubal, Portugal (38° 44' N, 9° 0' W), on 26.9.10. (5572 days; 1423 km; 194°).
- Herring Gull GN29624 Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 18.6.10. Found dead on Lundy, 19.10.10. (123 days).
- Herring Gull GN29628 Ringed as a chick on Lundy, 18.6.10. Found dead (not fresh) on Lundy, 9.8.10. (52 days).
- Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus) 1 bird ringed in 2010
- Individual Great Black-backed Gulls on Lundy 456 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Common Guillemot (Uria aalge) 3 birds ringed in 2010
- Individual Guillemots on Lundy 2,704 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Razorbill (Alca torda) 1 bird ringed in 2010
- Individual Razorbills on Lundy 1,238 birds ringed 1947-2013
- Ringing of Seabirds on Lundy
- Individual Seabirds on Lundy
Links to other sites